[Rhodes22-list] electric motor selection

Roger Pihlaja cen09402@centurytel.net
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 18:05:11 -0500

Robert,

Perhaps the following data will help you:

I have a MINN KOTA Endura 30 trolling motor.  I run it off a Group 24 gel
cell battery.  Once, when the battery was about half discharged, I measured
the voltage & amp draw simultaineously with a very accurate digital VOM at
full throttle when the trolling motor was pushing my 10 foot inflatable
sport dinghy.  The trolling motor was drawing 30.1 amps @ 12.2 VDC.

    Power = Volts * Amps = 30.1 amps * 12.2 volts = 367.2 watts = 0.49 hp

Therefore, generating 30 lbs of thrust requires the expenditure of about 1/2
hp or about 60 lbs thrust/hp, assuming similar mechanical losses in the
transmission and prop between the outboard engine & the trolling motor.
Thus, to approximate an 8 hp outboard, you would need a 480 lb thrust
electric motor!  If it were a 12 VDC system, this electric motor would draw
about 481.6 amps continuously.  I leave it you to determine the size of
battery bank & wire sizes that would be required.  They will both be
impressively huge & heavy.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium