[Rhodes22-list] electric motor selection

Michael Meltzer mjm@michaelmeltzer.com
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 18:05:35 -0500

quick hint, 1 hp=745 watts or 62 amps at 12 volts

Now thier are a number of issue with prop trouge curves that make a electric motor more effentent, but the tolling electric motor
will not be a replacment (the real system one will cost 4 times more the a gas outboard). But does come in handle around docks.

MJM

PS. Thier is a very long answer, but I am pressed for time.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Dilk" <Robert.Dilk@trw.com>
To: <rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 3:21 PM
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] electric motor selection

I am confused. If I have a 8 hp gas outboard motor, what size THRUST electric motor do you need? Is an electric trolling motor a
good idea?

I guess any motor will push me out into the river, But....

Or what size (thrust) electric motor would be good for a Rhodes 22. Assume  I want to be able to drive the boat to 5 knots.

Any help is much appreciated.

Bob Dilk