[Rhodes22-list] Diesel Powered Trucks

Gardner, Douglas L. (LNG-DAY) douglas.gardner@lexisnexis.com
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:40:05 -0500

Joe,

I have a Dodge 3500 with the Cummins, and love it.
Data says that the average miles between an engine rebuild for the Cummins
is 300K.  My understanding is that the new GM diesel (Duramax) is excellent
as well. If I recall correctly, the Duramax is built by Isuzu (also known
for their diesel engines).

I've heard mixed reviews on the International engines in the Fords, but have
no data to back it up.  Like Brad, I have spoken to a lot of Ford diesel
owners who swear by them. I'm sure that all 3 motors are far superior to
their gasoline counterparts.  My guess is that opinions on them are largely
influenced by brand loyalty/hatred rather than true quality concerns.  Many
truck owners have the "I wouldn't own a Chevy (or Ford or Dodge) if you paid
me" attitude. Today, my wife is anti-GM.  Who knows what next year will
bring.

  Worth the extra cost?  A friend of mine pointed out that you can buy a LOT
of gasoline for $4K. It really depends on how you use it. I like to drive a
vehicle until it dies, so the plan on the truck was to have it for many,
many years.

--Doug