[Rhodes22-list] Diesel Powered Trucks

David Rasberry cinetics@acsinc.net
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 20:05:06 -0800

Joe,

You might think about waiting a couple more years on the truck. They are
working on designs for diesel electric hybrids for big pickups and SUV's
that will still have the heavy duty hauling capacity ( railroad locomotives
are mostly diesel electric hybrids) but the fuel mileage will nearly double.
Supposedly these are coming around 2005-2006.

Razz

-----Original Message-----
From: rhodes22-list-bounces@rhodes22.org
[mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces@rhodes22.org]On Behalf Of Ware, Joseph W.
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 7:22 AM
To: 'The Rhodes 22 mail list'
Subject: RE: [Rhodes22-list] Diesel Powered Trucks

Rik, Michael, re-thinking is exactly what I am doing, with all of your help.
What kind of highway mileage do these diesel pick-up trucks get?  I'm about
15 with my gas powered truck.  Are they worse than that?  Also, would the
extra up front money give me extended years on the back end?

To buy now is $36k - trade in = $28k - discounts (I hear that they are
drooping prices around here now) - $8k = $20 for new diesel.

If I wait 4 years, in today's dollars, and buy the gas non 4wd truck = $26k
- trade in = $24k - discounts = $20k for new gas.  If the assumptions are
even close, and my current truck makes it without costing me too much...

Here-in lies my decision... new now or wait... what condition will the
diesel be in 4 years with 80,000 miles on it...

Joe