[Rhodes22-list] Right from the get go

AMICW@aol.com AMICW@aol.com
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 19:58:03 EST

Thanks to all who have responded and were generous with their knowledge.  I
plan to sail on the Chesapeake Bay - mostly daysailing but, hopefully with
more experience, some overnights in nearby waters.  I've been sailing for a
while but don't feel very competent and, as I will be sailing alone, am
particularly concerned about safety and the power to get there and back if
the wind dies.  Did I mention that it takes me almost an hour to get to the
Bay under sail?  I was considering a 4 stroke 8HP or 9.9 HP motor, but then I
checked the prices!!!  Looking for something used at this point.  Stan has
promised me an electric motor platform and I think I'll also get a power
starter.  What about the electrical system?  Should I consider an upgrade to
110V ??  And what is a co-axial cable?  At present, VHF and GPS will be
handheld (cheaper), but I want to install on the boat, those things needed in
the structure itself (add-ons can come later).  Do I need a head or is a
portapotti sufficient?  I will NOT be trailering the boat - one expense to
avoid (in a way).  Should I get a hatch?  What happens on summer nights -
very hot inside?  would a hatch be needed for ventilation?  And do I need
electric outlets inside to charge the GPS, VHF, etc??  Little by little the
price keeps climbing however, I don't plan on another boat anytime in the
forseeable future.
Any ideas or experience would be appreciated.  Thanks, Alice