[Rhodes22-list] Right from the get go

Roger Pihlaja cen09402@centurytel.net
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 09:16:40 -0500

Alice,

I've added my responses to your questions down in the body of your original
document.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

----- Original Message -----
From: <AMICW@aol.com>
To: <rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org>
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 7:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Right from the get go

> Thanks to all who have responded and were generous with their knowledge.
> plan to sail on the Chesapeake Bay - mostly daysailing but, hopefully with
> more experience, some overnights in nearby waters.  I've been sailing for
> while but don't feel very competent and, as I will be sailing alone, am
> particularly concerned about safety and the power to get there and back if
> the wind dies.  Did I mention that it takes me almost an hour to get to
the
> Bay under sail?  I was considering a 4 stroke 8HP or 9.9 HP motor, but
then I
> checked the prices!!!  Looking for something used at this point.  Stan has
> promised me an electric motor platform and I think I'll also get a power
> starter.

OK, the Chesapeake Bay is a fairly big, but shallow body of water, which is
exposed to the Atlantic Ocean.  I've only been there once, sort of a once
over lightly cruise.  However, from what we saw & from other reading about
the Chesapeake Bay, it's on my short list of places I'd like to go back &
spend a lot more time.  You could spend a lifetime exploring this body of
water.  The Upper Chesapeake Bay is a fairly benign place to learn to sail.
The Lower Bay must be regarded as essentially ocean sailing, complete with
commercial & military ship traffic.  You didn't say where your home port
will be on the bay.  Although, you are evidently pretty far upstream on one
of the streams or rivers that empty into the bay if it takes you an hour to
reach the bay under sail.  You will have a tremendous variety of cruising
choices ranging from deserted anchorages in coves & upstream on the many
rivers to busy, plush (unfortunately also expensive!) marinas located right
downtown in places like Baltimore, MD.

There are several safety considerations you should think about.  The
Chesapeake Bay is fairly infamous for sudden afternoon summer thunderstorms.
These storms tend to form too quickly to enable a "slow" vessel like a
sailboat to get to shelter in real time.  If you simply refuse to go sailing
on days when weather conditions make an afternoon thunderstorm possible;
then, you will miss about 50% of the sailing days in the summer!  The
relatively shallow water means that you will have to deal with fairly large
waves during these thunderstorms, 6 - 8 feet will be common!

Consider getting an extra long shaft engine because a long shaft engine will
not be able to function effectively in these waves.  The prop will be lifted
clear of the water.  The prop will cavitate & the engine will lose cooling
water suction.  Have Stan install the engine mount such that you get maximum
possible immersion depth on the prop without submerging the power head!

Consider getting remote cockpit or tiller mounted engine controls because
you don't want to be leaning over the transom fiddling with your outboard
engine in these conditions.

Consider getting the IMF mainsail, especially if you will be singlehanding.
Of course, the boat will almost certainly have a roller furling genoa.  Make
certain all the control lines are led back to the cockpit.  You will want to
be able to operate both sails completely from the cockpit.

Consider outfitting the boat with jacklines & getting yourself a good combo
safety harness/PFD.  Stay clipped in when ever you are not in the cabin,
even in the cockpit.  This is probably the most cost effective safety thing
you could do.

Learn to sail the boat in heavy air ASAP because the Rhodes 22 can be sailed
in much heavier conditions than it can be motored in, even with an extra
long shaft engine.

What about the electrical system?  Should I consider an upgrade to 110V ??

Again, how will you use your boat?  If you plan to anchor out a lot, then
shore power will be pretty useless.  However, if you plan to mostly stay
overnight in marinas; then, shore power makes possible any number of the
modern conveniences we all take for granted around home.  Among the more
important considerations, with shore power you will be able to:

Run your cabin lights all night long if you want to without running your
battery down.
Recharge your battery.
Run a small electric space heater to keep the cabin warm.  Dynamic
Equilibrium has an Arvin model 29H40 electric space heater, which runs off
shore power.  This heater has a built-in thermostat with 800 watt, 1600
watt, & fan only settings.  Most of the time, 800 watts is more than enough
to warm the Rhodes 22 cabin.  On really hot stuffy nights, the fan only
setting is pretty nice to have.
Cook with a hot plate or an electric skillet.
Run a small portable refrigerator.
Even things like TV's, VCR's, DVD's, microwave ovens, etc become possible if
you simply cannot live without them.

And what is a co-axial cable?  At present, VHF and GPS will be
handheld (cheaper), but I want to install on the boat, those things needed
in
the structure itself (add-ons can come later).

Coaxial cable is a special type of wire that is used for transmitting radio
signals without picking up interference from other electrical systems on
board or nearby the boat.  The most common place to find coaxial cable on a
sailboat is running up inside the mast to a masthead-mounted VHF radio
antenna.  There are many grades & sizes of coaxial cable.  I recommend you
use a marine grade type RG-8U coaxial cable to get the strongest possible
signal to & from the masthead.  Since this cable runs inside the mast, it's
easiest to install at the factory.  So why would you want a masthead-mounted
VHF antenna?  Well, VHF radio transmissions are basically line-of-sight.
Your handheld VHF with the built-in rubber ducky antenna will be able to
communicate about 3-4 miles over water with another handheld VHF radio, &
less over land.  I have a special coaxial cable adaptor that enables me to
connect my handheld VHF radio to my masthead-mounted antenna.  With the
masthead-mounted antenna, I can reach out about 6 miles to a handheld &
about 8-10 miles to another masthead-mounted VHF.  A handheld VHF will only
transmit at 5 watts maximum power.  An on-board VHF radio with a
masthead-mounted antenna will transmit about 15-20 miles to another 25 watt
VHF radio with a good antenna.  Another reason for wanting a
masthead-mounted antenna is ability to receive VHF NOAA weather channels in
marginal conditions.  In your cruising area on the Chesapeake Bay, this is
not likely to be a significant factor, but could be if you ever cruise in a
more remote area.  Make certain your handheld VHF radio is capable of
receiving all the VHF NOAA weather channels.

A handheld GPS is fine.  That's what I use.  Consider getting a handheld GPS
that can also be operated off ship's power so you won't be running down the
little built-in batteries.

Do I need a head or is a portapotti sufficient?

We have a big portapotti on board Dynamic Equilibrium & find it completely
adequate.  You may not have a choice here as the recycled boat will probably
come with one of the other.  One nice thing about a portapotti is that you
can put it out in the cockpit at night so you don't have to live with it in
the cabin - or the smell if you or a guest has to use the head in the middle
of the night.  You can also empty a portapotti out ashore in a gas station
rest room.  But, you must find a pump-out facility if you have a permanently
installed on-board head with a holding tank.

I will NOT be trailering the boat - one expense to avoid (in a way).

A trailer is one of those things that you can purchase later without any
penalty.  It also saves you the expense of a trailer tow vehicle.

Should I get a hatch?  What happens on summer nights -
very hot inside?  would a hatch be needed for ventilation?

Ventillation is good.  More ventillation is better!  You cannot have too
many hatches for ventillation.  Without many open hatches, the cabin can get
pretty stuffy & humid.  Consider getting a solar powered exhaust vent fan
for the head area.

 And do I need
> electric outlets inside to charge the GPS, VHF, etc??

These will probably come installed with the shore power package.  You don't
need a lot of outlets.  A computer cord strip will give you all the outlets
you're ever likely to need, just pay attention to the total electrical load.
Consider getting one or more DC cigarette lighter outlets because that will
enable you to run & recharge your GPS, VHF, etc of of the ship's battery for
those times when you aren't hooked up to shore power.  It will also enable
you to have a hand held search light for finding that buoy, mooring ball,
etc if you do any night sailing.

Little by little the
> price keeps climbing however, I don't plan on another boat anytime in the
> forseeable future.
> Any ideas or experience would be appreciated.  Thanks, Alice

We've had Dynamic Equilibrium since the spring of 1987.  We have no plans to
sell her anytime soon.  The R-22 will serve your needs very for a long time,
Alice.  Good Luck!