[Rhodes22-list] Docking lines and life jackets

Bob Weber ruba1811@hotmail.com
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 07:48:19 -0600

Dan, 3/8 is fine.  The mistake most people make is not getting a long enough
dock lines.  You may only use a small amount on your everyday use but if you
go enough places you will be wishing you had a couple 15+ foot lines.  Plus
if you gave a good storm you will find yourself wanting a couple spring
lines and 3 or 4 others to take the load.  I consider Good looking dock
lines as a gift / compliment to your boat.  You can tell the owners that
really care about their boat by the lines that they tie the boat up with.
As far as PFDs, I used to give it no thought - bought the cheapest orange
(mae west) bilge spoonges.  I have since had an attitude change much the
same way as I did with seat belts.  The inflatable life jackets are the way
to go.  I bought the Stearns manual inflateable belts.  They look like fanny
packs.  Your passangers will look at you funny when hand them one and show
them how to use it - a couple minutes later they forget they are wearing
them.  The best life jacket in the world is no good if you are not wearing
it when you go in.  I also broke down and bought a auto inflate vest for the
occasional passenger that doesnt swim.  The Stearns belts go on and off sale
at sailnet, you can usually find them for about 50 bucks apiece.  It took me
a while to afford 6 of them but another benefit is that they take up a lot
less room than 6 closed cell pfds.

Bob Weber