[Rhodes22-list] diesel insults (none taken)

Gardner, Douglas L. (LNG-DAY) douglas.gardner@lexisnexis.com
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 13:30:33 -0500

Hey Brad,

   No offense taken, and actually my response read much more strongly than I
intended.  My main thesis was supposed to be that casual observers can't
decide if a vehicle is appropriate for an individual or not. I've been known
to throw my share of comments about soccer moms buying a Ford Excursion to
drive to the grocery.  The fact is, I can't tell from the grocery store
parking lot if they really need the huge SUV or not.  (well, actually I can
look at the hitch to see if its been used, and I can look to see if there is
a brake controller under the dash, but that is about it.)

Rik's main points are well founded.  Given that the question is: what do I
need to tow a R22?  Then the answer is: Something rated to tow 5,000lbs or
better.
Like I said, my Jeep Cherokee Classic can handle that, although I wish it
was just a bit heavier.

Personally, I loved my Ford Aerostar.  Unfortunately, given the extremes of
my needs (commuting vs. the occasional heavy towing/hauling) there is no
room in the stable or the budget for a minivan.  Too bad.  I really liked
having one.  I don't understand what some of my friends have against them.
They are great vehicles for the family and occasional light hauling.  I
could even fit my garden tractor in mine!

Oh, and about the generator/microwave...  I say GO FOR IT!  I'm not going to
do that on the boat, but you and Rik have me seriously thinking about that
little generator for the camper!  That would widen our horizons a lot if I
could generate enough juice to run the furnace in the camper overnight
without electrical hookups!  I have a catalytic heater in there, but won't
use it overnight with kids nearby.  The furnace is the way to go...

--Doug