[Rhodes22-list] lightning protection

Wally Buck tnrhodey@hotmail.com
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 10:04:31 -0500

Brad,

I hear you, I am not down playing the risks of lightning. Like I said I
asked this same question, read up on the subject, and never really figured
out the best course of action. I have checked out the site you mention and
it is a good one. Someone on this list suggested it a while back and I
bookmarked.

In the summer we have a chance of lightning just about every evening (like
most of the south). If it is less than 30% chance I usually go out, if
chance of storms is 70% or above I don't go. When it is 50% chance or so I
may still go out but I will check a bunch of weather sites before doing so
and keep a close eye on the weather when sailing. I also sail close to many
safe inlets that I can duck into.

I always check weather closely before heading out. With live radar, updates
on temperature, dew point, humidity and so on; one can make as good a guess
as the local weather dude. I guessed wrong once early in the summer time and
got caught in a lightning and hailstorm. Now that I think about it, that is
when I started asking about lightning protection.

By the way, I sometimes fly a kite (not a head sail) while sailing and
anchored.

Wally