[Rhodes22-list] (no subject)

Saroj saroj at pathfind.net
Tue Jul 29 09:32:09 EDT 2003

Martin,

I had a similar problem during the winter, discovered when I started getting
the boat ready in March.  In my case it was due to two things: plugged
scuppers in the back seat of the cockpit.  Water then accumulated on the
lazerette seat and as the level rose it spilled over the lazerette "lip" and
finally into the bilge in the cabin.  The second issue I discovered just a
month ago when I had the cabin apart cleaning and repairing the floor and
other cabin areas.  I discovered that the hose that the cockpit line goes
through had detached from the thru-hull fitting in the companionway that the
rope comes through.  Thus instead of rain water going harmlessly down the
hose into the centerboard well, it would end up in the cabin bilge.

Although I wasn't aware of water entering the boat this way, during the same
"bout" of repair/maintenance frenzy, I discovered a final source of errant
water (actually Bob Berot discovered it - thanks, Bob) -- a leak in the sink
drain.  I replaced the drain hose and added a lot of plumber's putty.  No
more leak.

I have added a bilge pump with a float switch to remove any significant
water in the bilge.  Probably wasted money, because I no longer get any
water in the boat.  I would not ignore the situation you describe even if I
didn't care if the floor rotted.  It just isn't normal or expected and it is
clearly a sign that something is wrong with a through-hull somewhere on your
boat.  Also it will encourage mildew, mold and fungus (is that
redundant?) -- all of which are harmful to people and will make the cabin
and everything in it stink.

Saroj