[Rhodes22-list] To Stan @ GBI

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Tue May 13 10:06:45 EDT 2003

Saroj,

In my previous job at the Dow Chemical Co., I was frequently involved in
product application & technical sales calls.  We had to do it because, left
on their own, the salesmen tended to either walk away from golden
opportunities or promise the moon & give away the store in the process.  To
be good at technical sales, you have to understand the technology, the
specific needs of the customer, as well as understand the limitations & cost
structure of your own production process.

Stan just loves to do unusual state-of-the-art stuff.  As a small boat
builder with a single product, GBI is probably an ideal candidate for
developing this technology!  Even if I don't get this job, I hope Stan
follows up on his own.

If I get this job, I will have several technical sales people reporting to
me.  I plan to meet individually with each of them to pick their brains &
gauge their level of technical competence.  I'm also interested in what sort
of backup technical data they have available to present to prospective
customers on their sales calls.  I suspect their resources will be pretty
slim.  I have contacts at Georgia Tech University in Atlanta, GA.  I bet I
can contract the university to produce the kind of comparative mechanical,
physical, & thermal property data I'm thinking about pretty quickly & for a
reasonable price.  It'll be good practice for their engineering students as
well.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilbrium