[Rhodes22-list] file sharing on a sailboat..

Lou Rosenberg lsr3 at MAIL.nyu.edu
Thu Nov 13 15:40:16 EST 2003

Slim..
  Just read your post on P2P.. I agree with you on the privacy violation.
  The Supreme Court should hear this case and hopefully when it does
there will be some sane jurists on it.
  You make the case for being able to just buy one song ,, enter
iTunes and need I say anything more.  I love my Mac but have not
fallen victim of going to my credit or debit card to pay .99for music
which should cost CONSIDERABLY LESS per song on a contractual basis
as they require.
  But your analogy on taping things and releasing the analog copies is
a poor one.   As a videographer  I need use of many online songs to
complete NOT FOR BROADCAST work but have to constantly remind my
clients that this is blatantly illegal .  Most clients supply their
own CD or  cassette and the issue is easily resolved, but songs are
downloaded for personal videos 24/7 and they  (ARA) know this.  ARA
want to have a beachead to start their war against piracy which does
increase the price consumers pay at the store.  They might have won
the first battle but eventually i think they lose the war .
  And  for the sailboat analogy..
  and this is not a great one but it comes to mind first..
A)  If i found a chart of certain waters that is up to date but not
released to the public as yet and scan it into my computer and share
it with you, am I breaking a copyright law or a Coast Guard
regulation ?
B) If another chart is published and I am just sharing it with you am
I still breaking the law because its 'just a piece of paper' or am I
being a good sailor and sharing what I know with another sailor just
to be friendly?  That chart may have cost just as much to produce as
a professional music CD.
  Just my .02 on this matter
  Lou