[Rhodes22-list] file sharing on a sailboat..

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Fri Nov 14 01:31:11 EST 2003

Lou,

Thanks for your thoughts.  But just for clarification, when I made the
analogy about dubbing records onto cassettes, I was guessing that you were
old enough to remember when we all had our vinyl record turntables patched
into cassette decks to dub copies for our friends, or in my case, dubbing to
cassette for rehearsal--it's a lot easier to learn a song from a cassette
where you can start and stop easily rather than dropping the needle.
(Although many of my records are scratched up pretty badly for this very
reason--especially my Leo Kottke records.)   But they're both analog.  The
point is, there's always been a lot of bootlegging going on, but there were
never any lawsuits until now.

As for your analogy on navigation charts, I think it's the very same issue.
We'll be seeing these other variations of the same argument cropping up
soon. DVD movies are next. And did you see that the Harry Potter books, in
their entirety, have already made their way to the internet? Copying for
"study" is not illegal, but copying for the "use" of others is illegal.  I
know how vague that sounds.  That's why we have lawyers--I think.  8-)
But is it illegal to buy a Harry Potter book, scan it and post it on the
internet?  The answer is no.  Is it illegal for someone else to download it?
No.  Can they do whatever they want with it, such as reprinting or reselling
it?  No.  Should they be sued just for downloading it?  NO!!!  It's not as
though it were contraband or child porn or something.

This begs the question: Just how intellectual is this property anyway? 8-)

Slim