[Rhodes22-list] Through-Hull sealant

Kroposki kroposki at innova.net
Mon Nov 17 07:59:29 EST 2003

Bob,

      Just for reference, BoatLife Sealant is a polysulfide base
sealant.  See:  http://www.boatlife.com/

     Now, the question, what is good to clean and polish an aluminum
mast?  What gets black marks off the mast?

          Ed K

On Behalf Of Bob Keller
Sent: Sunday, November 16, 2003 9:07 PM
Through-Hull sealant

Just wanted to thank the responses I received several weeks ago about
the

through-hull failures that I experienced.  Whoever recommended (I think
it

was Peter?) that I use 101 polysulfide was right on.  The previous
sealant

used was 3M 5200 and it must have cracked when the boat sat on the
trailer

with many people walking and working on the boat.  The polysulfide
remains

very flexible after it cures and appears to be ideal for a trailerable
boat.

  Just trailered 600 miles and sailed hard and the boat remains
completely

dry.

I also sealed the water tank (rubbermaid container) lid with silicone

sealant and it no longer leaks into the bilge when the boat heels.

Thanks again.

Bob K

Yankee Clipper