[Rhodes22-list] Mexico 1, Keys 0

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon Nov 17 10:09:43 EST 2003

Bob,

This happens over and over with regard to the Keys.  Currently in my household the score for the winter vacation appears to be Mexico 1, Keys 0.  We, too, shall see.  One year I'll get there.

The list has spent a lot of time discussing how to maintain your boat in one place, and too little time discussing the type of trailer sailing you are obviously doing.  Speaking for myself, I'd love to hear more.

I gather you are in the process of installing a tiller pilot.  I think these devices are of dubious value for day-sailing, and invaluable for longer haul, motor-sailing--especially when you need to constantly consult charts because you are far from your home port.

I suspect the things Practical Sailor tests for have little application in our boats, although I'm not sure there's a nickel's worth of difference between the tiller pilots currently available, as far as we're concerned.

Which model did you pick?  Why?

So little force is required to move my tiller, that I wonder if the attachment point can be moved far astern.  Could the power unit be attached to the motor mount, with the arm traveling straight across the transom, completely out of the way?  There could be a second attachment point forward, but for everyday use on an R-22, these things would seem to be more than powerful enough to forgo the mechanical advantage obtained from mounting them more forward in the cockpit.

Any other hints, tips, thoughts, experiences, you have gleaned from your trailer sailing would, I think, be invaluable to the list.  Most of us have been timid about leaving familiar waters, although most of us have vehicles that would allow us to do so.  We need to hear success stories from the pioneers to help us find enough courage to sail in unfamiliar waters.

Bill