[Rhodes22-list] Dummy with computer needs help--badly

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Wed Nov 26 16:03:12 EST 2003

Todd,

Please be aware that, unless you take steps to protect your computer, DSL
will just let the bad guys do more, faster. At the risk of sounding tedious,
I'd like to offer you some tips I give my users (other than the whole "safe
hex" thing):

- never, never, never ever open an unsolicited attachment. If it's from
someone you know, check with them first to make sure they intentionally sent
it to you  - many virii replicate via automated emailings.

- make sure to disable Microsoft file and printer sharing if it isn't
already - Windows default settings and bugs in Microsoft's code are probably
the biggest contributors to the general lack of Internet security around.

- periodically (like every week or two) check the windows update site
(http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/) for security patches and bug fixes.
Much of today's malware takes advantage of security holes in Windows,
Internet Explorer, Media Player, Message service, etc. for which patches
have been available for a long time.

- many anti-virus programs provide a way for you to make a known clean boot
diskette for scanning a system you suspect may be infected. If yours does, I
would strongly encourage you to do so before doing anything else. If the
scanning software reports a virus, contact your anti-virus vendor for
support r.e. the removal.

- make sure you keep your virus scanner updated weekly at a minimum. If your
software provides "on the fly" virus detection, make sure it's enabled.

- and install and run Ad-Aware (mentioned below) - you'll be amazed at the
amount of tracking that goes on behind your back.

Mark