[Rhodes22-list] Dummy with computer needs help--badly

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed Nov 26 17:22:10 EST 2003

Todd Tavares wrote:
> ... I use win98SE and have slow dial-up service.
> About a month ago I started getting pop-up ads
> trying to connect to the internet...
> (Norton Works 2000?)...  Half or more of the
> Norton items wouldn't run.
> ...I thought I was a genius until I opened my
> telephone bill and today found a $398.00 internet
> charge... some sort of downloaded software that
> dialed up and connected to the internet at 2:00 AM...
> This charge was an add on from ATT...  ATT CSR said
> this is happening with increasing frequency, but
> refused to remove the charges from my bill.

WIN98SE has an inherent flaw which allows vandals to
post pop-up messages on your computer.  MS has not issued
and does not intend to issue a patch for WIN98 to deal
with this.  I suggest that you get the Windows 2000 Pro
desktop service release 2 to allow you to stop these messages.
W2K SR3 installs some components that you may not want.

Having backed up all your important data, installed W2k
Pro, and reinstalled the basic software that you really
need, you should install a personal firewall, such as
Zone Alarm Pro. This package not only protects you from
incoming connections, but also monitors outgoing
connections, prohibiting all but those you approve.
This may put a stop to the outgoing calls to wherever.
I prefer Zone Alarm Pro to the others (e.g. Black Ice),
as it is easier to control and monitors both incoming
and outgoing connections.

While Zone Alarm does some checking of email and attachments,
It's a good idea to also install Norton Antivirus 2003,
as it can do periodic searches for unwelcome software and
infected files throughout your system.

I also stay away from Microsoft IE browser.  The free "Opera"
browser, while not perfect, has fewer problems.  Along the
same lines, the free Netscape email packages are quite
capable and easy to use, and less vulnerable to attack.

Finally, if you can spend another $100, get a USR 8022
wireless router or other device that will translate IP
addresses, so that the actual address of your machine is
obscured, not available on the 'net.

Having said all this, I'd still recommend disconnecting
your computer from the telco line when it is not in use.
Same applies to broadband connections, as physical
disconnection absolutely prevents a hacker from
"recruiting" your computer to attack other hosts.
This could save you from having to answer some pointed
questions from some government agency...

/Robert Skinner

--
Robert Skinner, "Squirrel Haven"
9 Gateway Commons, Gorham, ME 04038-1331