[ham] [Rhodes22-list] Dummy with computer needs help--badly

Michael Meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Thu Nov 27 00:30:28 EST 2003

you got hit by a porn dialer(that what they call it, they started the trick), what is does is highjack your modem line and call
1-900 number or a oversea call, it is called fraud.

1)call the phone company, they will take it off the bill, you might have to ask to speck to a supervisor, SOP is they will let you
off the hook for the first time(check the current bill while you at it), if nice is not working get pushy, you might have to remind
them that this is a fraud, from other complaints they should have know it was a fraud, you did not knowingly make the call, by them
billing you they are a party to the fraud, willing to go to the state attorney general. ask them to place the "blocks" on your line.
If you need help with the scream job, I do it for a living, conference call :-)

2)now for the computer, the problem you have is that any Microsoft product that is not absolutely current is not fit to be connected
to the internet, frankly I think bill gates should loss a class action law suit, their is really no reason for it.

Hopefully http://www.safer-networking.org has removed the dialer by now.

the problem you have window98Se, is End of life, MS is no longer suporting it, then next step for you is upgrading to windows98me,
but ms is going to EOL that soon also, you could upgrade to windowsXP but most like any computer that started out with windows SE
does not have the power to run XP (skip win2000 in your case), for about 400$ you can upgrade to alot better assuming you can reuse
the monitor, witch will include 100$ your would have to pay to upgrade the OS, might want to think about it.

For DSL or Cable modem you beed a hardware firewall, they will also allow you to share the line with outer computers in the house,
linksys, dlink, smc, etc, thay cost about 100-150$, look for the words "statefull packet filtering fallwall", zone-alarm will alway
be second best to a real firewall(the virus disable zone-alarm but donot touch the hardware firewall)

zone is ok for dialup, if no other resion that thier is nothing else.

I like Mcaffe for my anit-virus on the decktop pc, Norton has been slipping over the years(my option).

bottom line, must be always up to date on the OS, must be running antivirus, have a firewall. should be sueing MS or get linux :-)

MJM