[Rhodes22-list] Great Lightning Debate

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 7 10:33:55 EST 2004

I've been getting about 150+ junk e-mails a day
recently and have had to ram-dump most incoming so I
missed the lightning thread.  Thankfully.  I still
have the 3 inch binder of lightning research from the
last time this was debated.  About a month ago I had
the opportunity to see a sailboat get struck.  I was
driving by the only sailboat dealer in Memphis and I
always look to see what is new on the lot.  There was
a level five T-storm in progress and just as I glanced
over a very powerfull bolt struck one of the tallest
masts.  Hot pieces of stuff fell to the deck, I assume
anything bolted to the mast, and the energy dissapated
sideways off the shrouds.  I wanted to stop and look
over the damage but not in that weather.  After seeing
that event, I'm convinced no amount of grounding
plates or leads would make a nicklels worth of
difference.  In fact, perhaps having the energy
dissapate through the shrouds is preferable.  It
scared the hell out of me and I'm fearless.  Well,
maybe not!  Brad