[Rhodes22-list] Wally's dilemma on sails

kroposki kroposki at innova.net
Sun Mar 14 08:32:16 EST 2004

Wally,

     I just got back to my computer and have not read all the post about
which sail you are leaning to.  Saturday I had a unique experience with
a new Rhodie and I will let him tell the story when he gets back.

     The real basic question is whether you sail to relax or do you want
to race (compete).  If you want to relax and enjoy, the 175 Genny can be
reasonably adjusted for most sailable wind conditions.  But if you want
maximum control then you need different sails.  Not just a choice of 110
or 150.

     I believe that Saturday, Keith Burhardt(sp?) demonstrated that with
attention to detail, you could adjust the 175 to achieve near maximum
potential at any point of sail.  Just ask him, he will be back on the
list probably later in the week.

     Some of the questions and issues presented in the discussion of
your question are (1) skill of the captain (number 1!), and (2) plain
old individual differences.  Some people like tea without sugar, some
with, some with lemon, some with cream.

     From what I have seen is that someone skillful with adjusting the
175 would push someone with different sails.  The 175 might not win, but
then again, it might.  It is the same issues as a standard main against
the IMF.  The real issue is how skillful is the user of each.  I think
that with his sail configuration that Rummy would push Roger to working
to win.  But then again, Roger might not win.  They are both very
skillful with the paint brushes that they have.

                        Ed K