[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes22 spotting

Ronald Lipton rlipton at earthlink.net
Mon May 3 00:57:56 EDT 2004

Rafe,

 I have driven by Jackson harbon many times - it looks like
a nice, cozy place.  We live in Oak Park so Monroe harbor
is much more convenient - I can get on the el two blocks from
my house and be at the harbor in 20 minutes.  We also have
a family house in Michigan City. I kept the boat in trail
creek there last year.  The back yard there is large enough for
us to store the boat so we keep it there in the winter.  I trust
my trailer for the 2 mile trip to the ramp but not enough to
navigate the Chicago expressways.

I have only made the Chicago to Michigan City trip once so
far.  That was two years ago when I was in Monroe.  It
was interesting.  The first 6-7 hours was in light winds
and we covered the first half of the 40 miles.  The wind then veered
by ~ 180 degrees from southwest to northeast and picked
up to 20-30 knots.  It seemed like it happened within 5 minutes.
The rest of the distance  took about 3 1/2 hours. We were
on the rail the whole time - pretty exciting with spray coming
over the rail and the genoa and main partially rolled up. One
mistake I made was that I had not really sailed very much in
those conditions when close to home so I was not as confident of
the approprate sail combination as I should have been - it wasn't
the best time to experiment - but we made it.

So after that experience I will certainly be very aware of the
weather predictions.  I am hoping for a slightly calmer trip this
time. It should take 8-10 hours - racers make it in 6.  It should
be a bit shorter from Jackson Harbor - a good long day sail
if the wind is right.  Perhaps we will sail down there for a visit
later this summer.

Ron