[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes22 spotting

Rafe rafe00 at ameritech.net
Sun May 2 21:54:35 EDT 2004

Ron,

We keep our boat in Jackson harbor which is straight
east from Michigan City.  They have one star dock
which we like better than the walk ups.  I am not
sure, but Jackson harbor might cost less than Monroe.
You might want to check it out sometime.  There is
some sort of Yacht Club, but we have never signed up
for it.  We keep a dingy there, but when we have
guest, we just take the boat right up to the dingy
dock - the water is about five feet deep there.

How long does  it take to sail from Michigan City?  I
guess you have been doing this for a few years now.
Do you always sail down?  Do you live in Michigan or
are there other reasons for storing your boat there?

After what we got caught in today, I would be very
careful about the weather for your sail down.  On the
up side, the longer it takes you to get your boat
ready the better the weather will tend to be.  I think
there are weather buoys that might help you.  The
closest online one to you I could find just now is:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.phtml?station=45007

and Dial-A-Buoy which can give you up to the hour
wind speed and wave hight:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/dial.shtml#howdo

There probobly are a few more.  Some day I want to
take a fairly long sail trip on Michigan - so I guess
I need to start collecting these resources.  A couple
of things nice about Dial-A Buoy are the up to the
hour reports and the fact that you only need a cell
phone.

Rafe
1988 Rhodes22 "Roo"  -- my last email tried to change
the boat name to RoRoo and something else - The name
has not changed since I got the boat: "Roo".