[Rhodes22-list] Solar Panel

FredkLange at aol.com FredkLange at aol.com
Mon May 3 19:27:28 EDT 2004

In a message dated 5/2/2004 5:09:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
cen09402 at centurytel.net writes:
Roger,

Yes, the red wire is split to 2 diodes.  I guess you're saying the diodes can
go bad.  Can the panel cause the diodes to go bad?  I'll have to find one of
those VOM thingies to do the test you described.

Thanks,
Fred
Fred,

Are you certain you have a blocking diode in the circuit?  If there is no
diode or if the diode is shorted; then, the batteries will drain down thru
the solar panel at night.  Try this experiment:  Disconnect the solar panel
at the battery; but, with the blocking diode still in the circuit.  Using a
digital VOM meter, measure the resistance back upstream  towards the solar
panel.  The resistance should be low when the + terminal of the VOM meter is
connected to the + battery lead and high when the + terminal of the VOM is
connected to the - battery lead.  If the resistance is low both ways; then,
you either have no blocking diode or the diode is shorted.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium