[Rhodes22-list] Short Cycle Fatigue Failure In Stainless Steel Tang

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Thu May 6 15:28:27 EDT 2004

Roger,

As always, very complete remarks.  The bolt is not tight and the tang
rotates freely.  But when lowered, the end of the boom is about 18" from the
traveler and just slightly higher.  The tang normally points down with a
slight angle aft.  When sheeted in tightly, the force is leveraged against
the bolt alone and is easily bent until it's pointing at the traveler.  It
didn't take much effort to bend it back either.  According to your info,
this suggests a substantial amount of damage to the crystal structure.  It's
hard to imagine all the disastrous possibilities if it were to break--like
you say--just when I need it the most.  So it must be replaced.  I can't
help but think there's a better piece of hardware for this than a rigid
tang.  Maybe just a padeye on the end of the bolt?

Thanks for your help,
Slim