[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes 22 centerboard (hybrid) in low tidemud question

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Sat May 8 00:10:15 EDT 2004

Hi Ashley,

Dynamic Equilibrium is a 1976 Rhodes 22.  The draft is about 20 inches with
the centerboard & rudder blade up.

I have some experience with deliberately running the boat aground in a tidal
area in soft mud.  The boat will tolerate it; but, I wouldn't recommend it
on a routine basis.  In my experience, the mud tends to squeeze into the
centerboard slot, around the centerboard, & thru hulls.  When the boat
refloats, all of this mud did not always flush back out automatically.  The
centerboard can be jammed up inside the shoal draft keel by packed mud.  One
can jam a rod or stick down the hose that the centerboard pennant comes up
into the cockpit thru & force the centerboard down.  Once the centerboard is
forced out of the slot in the shoal draft keel and the boat is sailed
awhile, most of the mud will be flushed out of the centerboard slot.  But,
some mud seems to always stay packed up in there.  On a long term, routine
basis, I would be concerned that this packed mud will cause abrasive wear on
the centerboard, the bearing, the sides of the centerboard slot, the
centerboard pennant, and the block on the centerboard.  The centerboard
pennant passes thru a block on the centerboard & back up into the slot for a
2:1 mechanical advantage & the packed mud also interferes with smooth
operation of the block & centerboard pennant.

The Dutch, British, and Germans uses a so-called "fixed twin keel" design
for many sailboats in the North Sea, an area of the world with notoriously
thin water & lots of tidal mud flats.  The twin keels allow the boat to take
the bottom & not tip over.  Another common solution is twin pivoting side
boards with a nearly flat bottom design seen on a lot of Dutch coastal
sailing vessels.

Basically, sitting in the mud on a routine basis will cause a lot of
problems and will probably get to be a royal PITA on a Rhodes 22.  Either
look for a different boat than a Rhodes 22 or look for a different place to
moor it, Ashley.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium