[Rhodes22-list] traveler and tiller tamer upgrade questions

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Mon May 10 10:14:21 EDT 2004

Bruce,

Instead of the Davis Tiller Tamer, please consider the following from pp.
1078 - 1079 of the West Marine Master Catalog 2004.

Forespar Medium Twist Lock Tiller Extension P/N: 104017 C/N: 111914   $79.99
Forespar Tiller Lockbox P/N: 100000  C/N: 190934  $25.49
Ronstan Tiller Extension Storage Clip P/N: PNP43D  C/N: 545343  $2.09

The Rhodes 22 needs a tiller extension to permit the helmsman to move about
the cockpit for proper weight distribution while steering.  The tiller
extension also permits hiking out & greatly facilitates single-handing the
boat.  The tiller lockbox will permit the helmsman to lock the tiller
extension & thus the rudder in any position for brief periods while the
helmsman tends to other matters.  The storage clip will permit the tiller
extension to be stored right on top of the rudder when it is not being used
& yet it will be instantly accessible when needed.  All newer Rhodes 22's
have such a tiller extension/lockbox feature built right in.  But, the above
pieces/parts will give an older Rhodes 22 a functionally equivalent system.
I've used a system like this since 1987 & it's been completely bulletproof.
My family relies on this system so completely & it works so well that it's
become effectively invisible, just another of the many essential & useful
systems on board.  Since your Rhodes 22 needs a tiller extension anyway, the
tiller lockbox effectively renders a Davis Tiller Tamer redundant &
unnecessary.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium