[Rhodes22-list] Mast Crutch

Gardner, Douglas (LNG-DAY) douglas.gardner at lexisnexis.com
Tue May 11 15:18:59 EDT 2004

Ahhh.... standard mast.   Considerable lighter than the IMF.  I also lash
the mast to the stern rail (IMF), but I don't lay it centered on the rail.
Instead, I position it at a stanchion.  I'd still be a bit wary of mounting
a crutch directly to an OEM stern rail without additional support. I can
think of several issues:
1. In addition to the mast, you add the weight of the crutch. Still probably
not bad for a standard mast.
2. When moving the mast fore or aft into raising or trailing position, there
are additional forces on both the tubing and on the mounting points.
3. How do you keep the crutch from rotating on the rail?  I have a hard
enough time keeping my rail mount magma grill from rotating on the rail.  I
couldn't imagine how tightly you'd need to clamp a mast crutch to it so that
it doesn't rotate when you roll it into position.  Roger's design excepted,
I don't see the relative advantage of a rail mounted mast crutch.

So, I stand by my original advice.  If you have an OEM rail, I recommend
that a mast crutch be built with additional support than the rail alone can
provide.

Or, you ask Roger to make you a copy of his rail and crutch combination.