[Rhodes22-list] Weekend sailing story

Ben Schultz BenS at ApproSystems.com
Tue May 11 14:33:04 EDT 2004

We took my sister Sarah and her son Sam out for a sail on Sunday.  The
wind was really blowing,  It was predicted to be around 20 knots off and
on, and I think we got every bit of that.  That sort of wind really
whips up some good waves on Ponchatrain, so I knew it would be a
rollercoaster ride out on the lake.  The down side is that on a
sailboat, Sam is about as tough as Omarosa when the plaster starts
falling.  We double-reefed the main sail before leaving the slip, and
motored out.

Right as we left the harbor, we were treated to a flyby by a young bald
eagle.  I haven't ever seen an eagle out over the lake before, but this
one was not very high, and there was no mistaking it.  It's too bad that
I set the camera down inside the cabin when we boarded and then
completely forgot about it for the rest of the day.

As predicted, the lake was rough.  As I steered out of the channel under
motor power, the bow of the boats would crash through waves that
completely soaked the deck and ran off of the sides.  Once I set the
sails (I added about the equivilant of 50% jib, with sheets run over the
cabin top), the boat sailed upright and pointed well.

The big disadvantage about the location of my marina is that it sits in
a cornor between shore and a bridge that is too low to pass under.  The
prevailing wind blows right up into that corner, which means I can
always get home, but getting out into the lake can be a problem.  We had
that problem trying to get into open water with a tight back-and-forth
zig zag.  It was a bit troublesome, as Velvet Elvis gets ornery about
tacking through the wind when it is really blowing and the waves get to
pushing us around a little.  At one point, we got too close to shore for
my sense of fun, so I started the motor and go out of there.

The rest of the sail passed pretty uneventfully.  Sam even started to
loosen up a little (but not a lot).  We flew into the slip under
mainsail alone.

The weather window was good for once.  It's pouring cats and dogs today.

Fair winds,
Ben

The information transmitted may contain confidential material and is
intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any
action by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is
prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the information from
your system and contact the sender.