[Rhodes22-list] traveler and tiller tamer upgrade questions

Richard F Sheehan dickshee at juno.com
Tue May 11 18:27:41 EDT 2004

Bruce;

I installed the tiller tender a couple of years ago, and I loved it.
Eventually, the spool on the starboard side kept coming off.  When I
emptied the rear lazzerette and went down and inside, I discovered that
the wood backing under the starboard gunnel  was not the same length as
that under the port  gunnel.  I had screwed the wood screw into just
fiberglass.  This was rectified by through-bolting and using several
large stainless washers as a backing plate.   When you drill, make a tiny
pilot hole, and then use successively larger bits until you get to the
correct size.

> Second, I plan to install the Davis Tiller Tamer which calls
> for installing clam cleats on the top lip of the aft seatback. I
> have never drilled or screwed anything into the fiberglass
> and would like some advice as to how best to avoid any
> damage - cracking, etc.

Hope this helps,

Dick
Richard F. Sheehan