[Rhodes22-list] Epoxying screws in Cabin Roof Question

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Wed May 12 09:35:35 EDT 2004

Jay:

	Michael has given you a good explanation of what needs to be done,
that is if you are familiar with working with epoxy and specific products.
It would be helpful if Roger, Peter, Todd and others would comment on how to
do this.

	Marine Tex is a great product, but I doubt that it is liquid enough
to spread around between the layers of fiberglass. At the point where the
current screws are going thru, there might be nothing between the layers of
fiberglass, or what is in there might be spread apart so that it does not
provide any strength to the area.  This is similar to the problem that Capt.
Sheehan was taking about in his tiller tamer mounting.  You might need to
fill the area a little more for strength.

	I would begin by choosing an epoxy mixture liquid enough to spread
and seep around so that when it hardens, it provides a more solid base.  You
might have to squirt epoxy more than once into the area to achieve this
result.  First, some liquid enough to spread around then thickened following
Michael's instructions for drilling and bedding.

	For the past two years, I have been reading books and articles on
this subject.  Naturally, you want to go sailing, and not do extensive
study.   You may want to review past emails on fiberglass repair at:

  http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/topics.html#E

And peruse the West Epoxy site at:

http://westsystem.com/ewmag/

	I recommend waiting a few days for others to comment on the subject,
but your original subject line might have a many deleting without reading.
An accurate subject line question attracts better response from those who
only scan the subject line.

And, how is the motor mount working?

           Ed K