[Rhodes22-list] Toys for Rhodes

Doug Mistler mistler at mindspring.com
Sat May 15 09:06:31 EDT 2004

Thanks to all who took the time to provide such useful and thought-provoking
replies.  You have caused me to go back to page one.  The reason I selected
the Rhodes was its ideal configuration for solo microcruising.  My primary
need for instruments will be when crossing the Chesapeake from south of
Annapolis to gunk-hole and anchor out on the Eastern shore.  That is enough
to take me briefly out of sight of land.

I can handle simple coastal navigation and took the Coast Guard Auxiliary
long course some 25 years ago for my first boat.  However, having been off
the water for more than 20 years for careers and kids, I am taking the USCGA
course again as a refresher and to learn those things which are new or have
changed.  My overall knowledge has proved fairly good (I challenged the
exam), but much technology is new - and we did not have GPS my last time on
the water.  GPS is impressive, and it surely will become my primary
instrument, but I do not want to be 100% dependent on it.  As I have a lot
of gray hair, I tend to be conservative <grin>.

I did not consider the value of the log function with a knotmeter.  In my
last boat I did not have a depth alarm with the depth meter.  Great - more
toys! (I can imagine Stan groaning now)

Got to go look for a hole in the water.  Wish me luck.

Fair winds to all Rhodies!
--Doug