[Rhodes22-list] Toys for Rhodes

ed kroposki ekroposki at CHARTER.NET
Sat May 15 09:33:13 EDT 2004

Doug:

	Today there are many good hand held GPS's out there.  I have the
Magellan Platinum, not their blue water boating version.  I use mine on
land, too.  I go walking aka hiking to some in remote areas and have found
it to be very accurate on land or water.  You can get chips to expand its
memory and get either topo or chart CD's to load into it.

	Even without the additional information loaded it has coast line and
road map chart built in.  I have used it on car trips from Greenville, SC to
Florida, North Carolina, and Vermont.  It plots the roads really good.

	At 2 a.m. it showed me that I was less than half a mile from my
destination in rural New Hampshire.  In Florida it showed me channels under
bridges I was driving over.

	It shows buoys in the water. While sailing on Lake Hartwell, I can
see where I am, but I had to check the thing out.  Since it shows elevation,
on lakes it shows water level.  Hartwell was down about 10' last Saturday.
But there is still plenty of water and room for one more boat.  You are less
than an 8 hour drive, come on down.

          Ed K