[Rhodes22-list] Marlinspike seamanship

Bob Weber ruba1811 at hotmail.com
Mon May 17 10:43:57 EDT 2004

Doug, I found a fid kit (2 differnt sizes) plus instructions at
defender.com.  I made my first splice in 20 years over the winter.  I was
unable to find the fids that I used to use as a kid.  Thery were hollow and
you put the core of the line in the hollow portion and slip it thru.  The
one I got looked like a knitting needle with a hook on the end to feed the
line core thru the spice.  The hook kept getting hooked in the way thu.  A
lot of frustration but ultimatly a success.  I will practice with a couple
more dock lines before I take on the jib sheets.  Bob Weber