[Rhodes22-list] Internal (transmit through Fiberglass) vs. throughhull depth transducers

Ronald Lipton rlipton at earthlink.net
Fri May 21 09:49:22 EDT 2004

I have had two depth sounders set up to transmit through the
hull.  The one on my current Rhodes uses the mineral oil in
a cup design and I had on epoxied to the bottom of my
C22. Both of them work fine.  I can't vouch for the accuracy
as I never really calibrated them but they operat fine and
give me enough information to know when I am getting too
close to the bottom or to follow the countours on a chart.
For my purposes I would rather use this arrangement than
drill a hole through the boat.   I was with a friend this
weekend who told me of  her adventures (including a night
on the boat bailing every few minutes) when she could not
seal her through hull knotmeter.

Ron