[Rhodes22-list] Ground Tackle

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon May 24 15:25:43 EDT 2004

Doug,

Find out what other people do where you will be sailing.  Michael and I drop anchors in currents.  More chain helps.  Talk to, and watch power boaters.  They are much less tradition bound with regard to anchoring, and some of their techniques seem to work just fine.  They don't have a heave-to option, and they don't have a keel, so they tend to anchor more than we have to in sail boats.  What they do is interesting.

The Rhodes-22 at anchor has many characteristics of power boats at anchor.  My vinyl clad anchors are the easiest to deploy, and retrieve and I use no chain at all when I use them.  I usually use them for lunch hooks when I really don't care if the boat drifts a few feet this way or that.  They don't get dirty.  Kids can deploy and retrieve them without hurting either themselves or the boat.  I often stern anchor with them when I'm single-handing.  Looks goofy.  Works fine.  Effortless.

There's no magic here.  Whatever works for you in your setting.  Setting multiple anchors still seems to me the best way to go, rather than relying on a single all purpose maximum strength solution.

Bill Effros