[Rhodes22-list] Boat Folleis

Bob Weber ruba1811 at hotmail.com
Tue May 25 15:31:53 EDT 2004

Hi all I am reading this new tread with great interest.  Not only are there
a bunch of great stories untapped here but I can actually use these in my
lesson plans.  I teach ASA's Basic Keelboat Sailing and half of the class is
boating safety.  I have a class starting tomorrow and by Thursday we will be
knee deep in all the differnt things that can go wrong on a boat.  We don't
spend any time on how to remove the stern straps when launching  but I will
give you some of the topics we do cover and if you know of a great anedote
that goes with a subject, chime in, I will give you half the profit I expect
to make this year :).  Thursday we will becovering the hazards of :
Anchoring, Sinking, Fire, Overloading (horsepower and LBS), Derigging,
Accidental Jibes, Hypothermia, Swimming w/ Propellers (I have one story and
thats enough)  Rope burns, Running Aground (easy fodder), docking, Lee
shores, Man (hat, dog, wife) overboard and now, of course, unstrapping the
boat from the trailer prior to launching.

Hopefully I have inspired a few good stories.  I, (un)fortunately, have
personal stories on most of these but always welcome new material.

Bob Weber