[Rhodes22-list] Maretin Backpacker Mandolin

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Thu Feb 10 12:07:18 EST 2005

Mark Kaynor wrote:
> I got the Martin Backpacker mandolin, figuring it's way more likely to be
> able to handle the humidity / heat / cold of a boat than most of the others.
> A pretty nice instrument for the money, actually - I was surprised that it
> sounds as good as it does, given it's size.

Mark -

As a sometimes and poor guitar player, I have
been seriously thinking of using my summer
evenings on the hook for a bit of practice,
sparing my dear wife the pain of listening.
I can't hear the fish laugh or groan...

Like many, I enjoy the intimate the sound of a
mandolin, and the Backpacker seems like a good
compromise between sound and size.

How does it actually hold up in the humidity?
   (Don't the seams open up?)
Do you keep it in a case with desiccant?
Would that be a good idea?

Thanks for any advice you have,
--
Robert Skinner