[Rhodes22-list] FW: [chesapeakebay] PFD/Gear Recommendations

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 19 06:23:45 EST 2005

Mark,

The problem with the "fine print" on all these regs is
that the enforcement people you deal with, TSA, are
often rejects from Waffle House.  You may find
yourself face to face with one of these "experts"
(after standing in line for an hour) and leaving your
PFD's behind.  I recently bought a new pair of uniform
shoes, specifically without steel shanks, so I could
go through the metal detectors on dead-heads without
taking my shoes off.  The TSA greeter in Washington's
Dulles Airport barked, "take your shoes off!"  I
explained that they had no metal and she replied, "the
protocal at my airport is heels over 1" have to come
off!"  For a moment I was tempted to argue that mine
were only 7/8" and technically it wasn't her airport
but I really wanted to get home so I let it slide.  A
friend of mine was arrested and cuffed, while in his
pilot uniform, here in Memphis because of his
"attitude".  As he was being lead away the "greeter"
admonished him this, "bein' a pilot at da airport
don't mean shit no mo'."  Anyway, the easiest way to
co-operate and graduate is to FedEx (or UPS) your
questionable items to your destination.  Lots of sales
people who sell industrial goods do that now to spare
themselves the hassle.

Brad