[Rhodes22-list] Energy Policy - Oops!

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 22 11:09:21 EST 2005

Roger,

As I explained to Stan, I'm a bit tight on time today
so this will be a gross over-simplication.  Northwest
canceled my flight to Detroit and re-booked me on
Continental through Newark.  They then canceled my
flight to Manchester.  To make matters worse, they
stamped my ticket SSSS which meant I had to go through
a full security search twice.  The retired rocket
scientist from the TSA kept asking why I had a pilot
uniform and airline ID in my bag.  DUH?  We didn't get
to MHT until midnight and had to delay our departure 1
1/2 hours this morning to be legal.  Anyway, here
goes.

The airlines and the mid-level oil companies both want
the same thing; stable cash flow.  The airline wants
protection from rising prices and the oil company
wants protection from falling prices.  The large banks
and brokerage houses that write hedges act somewhat
like a bookie.  They take bets from both sides and
don't care who wins or loses, they make their money on
the "juice".  If they get to far out of balance, then
they themselves are at risk.  The farther out in the
future you hedge, the more expensive it gets because
of the risk.  Your question about who would write a
contract for $26/barrel oil is valid.  Right now, no
one, but Southwest made their hedges months and in
some cases years ago.  You have to have a strong
balance sheet to play the game on either side so the
broker (bookie) doesn't get stuck with the bill.

Brad

=== message truncated ===