[Rhodes22-list] Energy Policy - Oops!

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Feb 22 23:11:55 EST 2005

Brad,

While I agree with you that hedging is important for flattening spikes
in commodity industries, (as usual) I question some of your underlying
assumptions. I do not believe that the pre-1973 inflation adjusted price
for oil hovered around $25/barrel. It seems to me it was much closer to
$15/barrel.

There are lots of other numbers I would question. Saying that Southwest
hedged 80% of its oil at $26 a barrel tells us nothing about what it
paid for oil. If it bought the other 20% at $60 a barrel then its fuel
cost for the year would have been $32.80/barrel.

I would guess that anyone could have averaged around $32.80/barrel on
the open market during 2004--the problem was that none of them could
have predicted it would have been that high, based on an average world
price of slightly less than $20/barrel inflation adjusted for the past
100 years. So they all did less well than they thought they would, and
they can all anticipate more problems if they can't tack on fuel costs
without losing passengers in the future.

All the airlines hedge to a greater or lesser extent. In a sense, going
bankrupt is a hedge, and getting a government bail-out is a hedge.
Paying late is a hedge. Each effectively allows you to buy fuel for less
than the market rate. No one is always on the right side of a hedge
(Except Ivan Boesky because he was cheating.)

So if Southwest did well some years, it will do badly in other years.
That is the nature of hedging. They must hold down their largest cost --
labor -- to do well year after year. The legacy airlines signed labor
contracts that were not sustainable. They hedged their labor contracts
by providing future pensions that were so unsustainable that they wound
up reneging on them.

The airlines would have had this same set of problems with or without 9/11.

Bill