[Rhodes22-list] Secure furled jib?

Bob Weber ruba1811 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 28 16:09:08 EST 2005

Bob, Congrats on your new boat.  We don't have such concerns in the midwest
but I have seen other cruisers who have roller furler head sails.  The
universal comment is that no amount of tying securing, etc. should give you
peace of mind during a serious storm.  Taking it off is the only gaurentee.
However I have recently seen storm tri-sails which has its luff as a sleeve
which fits over the furled genny.  It brags that it will contain the genny
via the sleeve.  If you were to make a sock like people use to douse a
spinnaker you could hoist that over the furled sail and stand a much better
chance of you sail not catching any wind.  The tube would have to be large
enough to fit over the drum assembly at the tack.  Just a thought, I think I
would still prefere to drop the stick and stow the sail if time allowed.
Bob