[Rhodes22-list] Single vs Double Axle

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Mon May 8 21:49:50 EDT 2006

Rory,

I think Slim has an older Trailmaster, which seems to have the original s/a
balance point set farther forward and an inherantly lighter tongue weight.
I have one trailer like Slim's (1988 s/a Triad) and a 2003 s/a Triad.  They
are very different trailers.

My newer s/a Triad has the axle moved significantly aft, to create adequate
tonge weight (250-400#) with the bow well aft  (10"  +/-) of the winch
tower.  This is a key point, but there are other improvements/differences as
well.  Very nice Dexter 6,000# axle.  Galvex brakes. Galvanized frame.
Surge brakes (now required by most states for trailed loads > 3,000#).

Whether you choose single or dual axle, strongly suggest a tongue weight
scale.  It's just impossible to guess the tongue weight load without one.
http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm  Too light or too heavy on either type of
trailer can spell disaster and take all the fun and joy out of your sailing
experience.

Good luck!

PT