[Rhodes22-list] Single vs Double Axle

Julie Thorndycraft julie at circle7.net
Mon May 8 23:42:36 EDT 2006

Rory,
We have a single axle and have taken Blue Loon on some rather lengthy trips.
We have a 2003 Triad trailer purchased through Stan in 2003. We have learned
that if you have a single axle, then the backside of the stern port window
should be straight up from the axle. For reference, our boat is 1996
refurbished in 2003 with a 100lb Yamaha 9.9 hanging off the backend. We
usually have the water tank full when we travel, partially to ensure we have
water but also to keep more weight forward. Slim is correct on the
fishtailing and we will take the extra time to get the boat in position. Now
that we know the 'tricks' for our boat, it's no problem. We also do not have
the option of removing our motor as it is hooked up to the tiller with the
remote controls. If we don't get it right, then we get creative and move all
anchors and chain to the bow, putting the gas tank in the tow vehicle, etc -
anything to get weight off the backend.

As for paint vs galvanized - we got galvanized even though we are in fresh
water. We tend to put our boat to bed at the end of the season late and
didn't want snow/salt to sit on the frame throughout the winter. Aside from
replacing some tires that were about to blow, we've done no maintenance on
the trailer.

My husband has assisted friends that have a dual axle and he will tell you
that they are far less maneuverable than a single axle - this can be an
issue if you are launching/retrieving in a busy launch site.

Julie (and Dan)
s/v Blue Loon