[Rhodes22-list] Single vs Double Axle

Rory Orkin roryorkin at earthlink.net
Tue May 9 08:49:06 EDT 2006

Well let me first thank each of the respondents . Obviously the opinion and
experience of most of you is a little different.
    First let me say that I have trailered small Pop Top campers and Boats
for over 30 years and cross country a number of times. Both single and
double axle. So if I may I would like to add a few comments. As a general
rule the issue of handling a trailer in a lot or ramp is one that is made
easier or harder by the distance of the center of rotation of the trailer
from the hitch. A very short single axle trailer will easily follow a tow
vehicle with little allowance for turns while backing up will be very
unforgiving because small errors translate into quick movements while
jacking the trailer.
    On the other hand a longer axis makes for wider turns which can actually
make backing easier (ask any truck driver about backing short vs long
trailers.) Of course going forward this means wider turns and perhaps some
problems in cramped parking lots for sure. Nothing like experience to help
an that score.
    The galvanized issue.. Painted steel rusts.so will galvanized just over
a much longer time. Pretty much a personal preference . I will say however,
as a person who has spent his whole life selling steel both plain and
galvanized, there are, as with most things, numerous grades of galvanizing.
I was just looking for some experience of the group.
        The issue of single or double for safety.. Again a personal
preference. I have never had a wheel fall off but
always,always carried a spare and jack because a flat can happen any time
for any reason. If a tandem axle is on a trailer it is true that it is
easier to get to a safe spot to deal with a flat. One flat with a single and
you are dealing with it at the side of the road... right now.
    As to wheels falling off. It should never happen. Properly maintained
and used , it is a non issue. Backing a hot hub trailer into water is asking
for trouble.    . It is hard but having the patience to let it cool off from
a long run but is important. But grease,grease,grease those hubs.Don't worry
about the mess.
    Now to the most important Rhodes trailer specific issue, weight
distribution. Each tow bar and vehicle has a maximum and recommended tongue
weight.
It is surprisingly low.. usually a couple of hundred pounds.. Depending on
class of hitch. So the balance forward is a real issue for towing
performance/safety.
Having power boated it has been a non issue since you can leave enough bunk
out of the water to drive the boat forward , secure the winch line and have
enough of the float out of the boat to make where it settles not much of an
issue. It seems that with the sailboat it is a little harder to get the boat
positioned properly on the single axle
For what it is worth .. the idea of having to put jack stands behind the
trailer says something is radically wrong.. If you are towing in that
condition. negative tongue weight is asking for trouble. A boat can be
shifted slightly forward by braking quickly and using the boats inertia to
move it forward but it puts some stress on the hitch.
Using the winch can work but my experience is that it doesn't once the boat
is on the trailer.. Perhaps downhill.. but usually they build the shore near
the ocean so it is pretty flat. If the newer trailers have the axle moved
farther back , this should help .
    Again thanks to all for the shared experience.
                                                                    Rory