[Rhodes22-list] Claude's wiring project & replies

Todd Tavares sprocket80 at mail.com
Wed May 10 22:11:39 EDT 2006

Well since Claude has not attached a schematic, and Ed wants to run
circles, I will start with a few pics.

Claude, if this seems too basic, I apologize as I have no intention of
insulting you.  If so, maybe somebody else will glean some knowledge.
Attached are three drawings.  (1) Parallel circuits  (2)series circuit.
I know of no circuits on a boat that are simple series circuits (but I am
prone to being wrong)

Series describes how the devices are connected to each other.    In the
series circuit, all devices or "loads" are wired in a string, like a
daisy-chain. If any one device malfunctions and breaks the chain, all
will cease to function.  This is like old Christmas lights...when any
bulb burned out, the whole string goes out.  Additionally, the more
devices in the chain, the less voltage each one will have to use. For
instance if our series circuit has only light bulbs, as we add more
bulbs, they will all get dimmer.

Parrallel circuits are, as the name describes...in parallel to each
other.  Each device is connected on one side to the positive terminal of
the battery, and the other side is connected to the negative terminal of
the battery.  No other devices are sharing the power.

The third pic is of a partial wiring schematic someone posted on the
trailer sailor forum.   Note how the steaming and anchort lights are fed
from the same circuit breaker, but are on separate poles of a three way
switch.

Todd T.