[Rhodes22-list] WTF?

Jim Bunnell jbunnell at mac.com
Fri May 12 13:43:46 EDT 2006

As usual, the media are reporting in a misleading way to get the most
headlines out of the story. What is being recorded are the NUMBERS
that call other numbers, not the conversations. If you're talking
about a bag, nobody knows. So, if phone A calls a known terrorist,
phone A's other calls are known. Note it is the number only, not the
content. If our friend at phone A talks to someone on our suspect
list, and then calls someone unknown, and this happens often enough
to create a pattern, then a warrant to listen to the conversations
can be obtained. This is what the oversight committee of Congress
approved, and it has been going on for a long time.

Additionally-
By GARY LANGER and DALIA SUSSMAN

May 12, 2006 — Americans by nearly a 2-1 ratio call the surveillance
of telephone records an acceptable way for the federal government to
investigate possible terrorist threats, expressing broad unconcern
even if their own calling patterns are scrutinized.

Lending support to the administration's defense of its anti-terrorism
intelligence efforts, 63 percent in this ABC News/Washington Post
poll say the secret program, disclosed Thursday by USA Today, is
justified, while far fewer, 35 percent, call it unjustified.