[Rhodes22-list] Project boats, technical questions generic not related to eBay boat

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Sun May 21 09:52:28 EDT 2006

Rummy and Wally,
     The questions are generic and specifically related to eBay project
boat.  On that boat the most likely cause of the problem is that hatch on
the foredeck.  The size of the hatch may also effect the structural strength
of the deck.  With the size of that hatch, if you removed it, it is likely
to offer a lot of access to do repairs.  The question would whether to put
the hatch back in.  My thought is for structural strength would not to put
it back.  Then you would have to find a loaner R22 to make a reverse mold of
that size to restore the deck.
       My question is it feasible and realistic on older boats needing
repair to separate the deck and hull to make better repairs and
modifications.   There are many old boats out there.  Most need extensive
repair and renovation.  If it was feasible to separate into major componants
like hull and deck, such repairs would be a whole lot easier.  However, you
would need some equipment like Stan has.
       On my boat it seems that the floor is soft in areas.  However, that
may be my cushy sneakers more than anything else.  As Rummy knows I did have
a leaky through hull since fixed with his most capable assistance and
technical help.  I guess I will have to pull the table base and see what
things look like, although that is not the problem area.  Something has
given me the impression that under my floor there was not a single piece of
plywood, but something akin to 1 x 8's under the linear elevated flooring.
I have looked underneath from the lazerette and cabin an cannot see anything
that is not secure.
        I do not think that the situation requires immediate attention and
will probably wait until the fall to drag the boat home and play with it in
the back yard.
        Well Dan finnally gave us his good news.  I guess we can now call
him Dan the Red Rhodie.

Ed K