[Rhodes22-list] eBay Boat - Now what?

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Mon May 22 11:46:55 EDT 2006

Robert, Rob, Brad, Others,

Probably not.

As previously mentioned, I'm working on the third edition of my book,
How to Sell Your Home in 5-Days.  The book predates eBay, and I
routinely use the 5-Day Method to sell many large ticket items including
cars and boats.

To sell a home, car or boat you price it in the ad at 50% of what you
think you will get, and let the market drive the price up to the fair
market value.  This always works with homes and cars because there are
always enough local buyers for these items to make a market.  It's
tougher with boats because there are rarely enough local real buyers to
make a market.

Using this method nationally doesn't work well because most buyers of
non-standard large-ticket items want to inspect the item before bidding
the top dollar.  This makes sense to me.

So sellers of boats on eBay seem to fall into 2 categories -- people in
trouble who can't sell in the local market, and crooks trying to put
something over on people who can't see what they are buying until after
having paid for it.

When the 5-Day Method is properly used, both the buyer and the seller
get a fair deal.  Boats on eBay seem to have "winners" and "losers".
None of us, probably including the seller, has the slightest idea of the
fair market value of that boat.  Stan knows because he makes the market
for Rhodes-22s.

I have been trying to decide whether to include a section in the third
edition on selling boats.  I know how to do it, but it is not as
foolproof as homes and cars.  Having watched this saga unfold, I have
decided to omit the section on boats.  Thanks to all for publicly
sharing your thoughts on this process, it has been very helpful.

Bill Effros