[Rhodes22-list] Reply to George on 175 and alternatives and Tatflies

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Tue May 23 08:11:53 EDT 2006

George:
       Comparatively speaking you are new on this list forum.  Maybe on your
particular lake the 175 is problematic.  However, before changing consider
what others have done
       This forum contains archives which contain this subject and
alternatives discussed extensively.  For a tool to help in this matter see:
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/2006-March/029518.html
        When I first saw your comments, I wondered if you studied:
http://www.rhodes22.org/upssail/index.html
Or have you considered an asymetrial spinnaker with sock?  Historically
serious sailors have an "inventory of sails"
        Maybe all you need is practice using the 175.  When the wind is up,
make the sail smaller.  Some  say it does hold shape.  Maybe the tension on
stay is not correct.  Although you are not supposed to rake an IMF mast, try
tightening the backstays and lowering the topping lift a little then tighen
the main sheet to adjust Genoa (now a jib) tension.  Also learn how to bring
the sheets inside.  Are you bringing the sheets inside?
        Now consider giving Tatflies a more detailed description of the
P-23.  Distinguish the construction and stay arrangement.  I wonder if he
looked at:
http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/cp23.html

Ed K
Greenville, SC USA