[Rhodes22-list] Good News - Gas Prices Falling

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 16:59:57 EDT 2006

Philip,

We will never "run out" of oil but it is a finite resource and it is getting
more expensive to find.  Google "Hubberts Peak" and start reading the
thousands of hits.  Even big oil, most recently Exxon, acknowledges Hubbert
was right.  That said, we do sit on vast resources, ANWR and both coastal
shelves, and Florida, that are not allowed to be developed.  Even if we
could wean ourselves completely from foreign oil it would not solve our
Islamofaciast problem - in fact, it could make it worse before it gets
better.

Most biodiesel in the US is made from soybeans because that is the
crop subsidy de jour (corn for ethanol is worse).  Europeans use rapeseed
which grows  here as well. Then there's hemp oil but let's not go there. If
we planted hedgerow to hedgerow nationwide we couldn't replace all the oil
we consume, but, we could sure make a serious dent in it.  All we need is
for the price of oil to rise and more biodiesel plants will come on line.
The price needs to stay at $3 per gallon and above.  Investment for
biodiesel projects has been easy to attract in the last year, not so easy
now.

Since oil company profits will take a huge dive this next quarter from the
last, I assume the same members of congress who wanted to pass a windfall
profit tax on big oil will support a big oil profit subsidy bill?

Long live free markets!

Brad